Monday, February 7, 2011

Goal: Cook More

One of my recent goals is to cook more frequently and be a better meal planner. Working three nights a week means I'm often eating PB&J in the car or heating up a quick frozen dinner on my 15 minute break. It's not the healthiest and I usually come home at 9:00 hungry. And, it leaves C and the kids up to their own devices. Which is okay; C is a good cook, but without a plan and a recipe, he usually resorts to frozen chicken nuggets or Marie Callender's chicken pot pies.

So, my best friend must have sensed what we were going through, because look what she made me for Christmas.

It's a kitchen-coordinated piece of stationery paper with the days of the week typed on to it. Slid into an 8x10 picture frame and paired with a dry erase marker, it makes a perfect meal planner. It's large enough that it has a presence on my countertop, meaning that I constantly notice it and am reminded to stay on track. At the end of the week, I wipe it clean with a paper towel and make a new plan without wasting any paper. As of today, we are rounding out 3 weeks of successful meal planning. It feels great!

I wish I could give credit where it's due...my friend got the idea from a blog somewhere out there, but can't remember where. So, whoever you are, I'm grateful!



What are your favorite resources for recipes? I'd be doomed without my subscription to Everyday Food!

1 comment:

Jenni said...

Wow - what a clever idea! I'm a terrible meal planner. I tend to stock the kitchen with the same staples each week. I only decide what's for dinner when I open the fridge. Is that why evenings can be so stressful?

Thanks for visiting my blog, Katie. So nice to see what you've been up to.