Friday, April 15, 2011

Mad About Making Tees with Etsy Iron-ons

A couple of years ago my friend Margaret turned me on to this Etsy shop: Ella Ba' Della's Handmade Appliques.

Lately, I can't stay away from it. Her designs are adorable, the fabric selection is fantastic, and the prices are very reasonable.

You can purchase appliques as pictured in her shop, or browse her extensive fabric selection and come up with your own combinations. I think I really love these because I don't just feel like I'm making a purchase, I also feel a part of the creative and crafty process.



Love these sweet spring designs. I also have some on tap to make for summer: a shark for J and bright red cherries for N.

This is as easy as you can get, people. Peel the backing off and press and hold with your iron for 10 seconds. Voila!

They wash up pretty well, too. I've used Liquid Stitch to touch up a couple whose edges peeled up a bit. Washing inside-out helps too.

I also bought some Fray Block for another project and have been swiping that around the edges of the appliques once I've ironed them on. Not sure if it's necessary, but I figure it can't hurt.

Those of you who are handier with a needle and thread--or better yet, a sewing machine--could also stitch the edges for stronger bonding and a cute embellishment.

And, of course, they aren't just for clothes. Onesies, baby blankets, bibs, tote bags...lots of possibilities. I purchased these love birds because I thought they would look perfect on a throw pillow.

Last share: doesn't my guy look so dapper in his iron-on Irish tie?!!


Do you have any crafts or projects to share?

Any new favorite Etsy shops that you're stalking?

No comments: